Tipsy Wight makes quirky flavoured vodkas, infused on your beautiful island. Made from natural ingredients either grown locally or foraged from fields and hedgerows on their Victorian farm, these give a taste of a genteel English summer year-round. All bar their honey vodkas are vegan-friendly, and everything is packaged in attractive glass bottles, in cardboard packaging.
Did you know that some vets use vodka as an emergency way to soak up antifreeze, for pet emergencies. When administered correctly, it has saved the lives of many pets who have ingested antifreeze (with follow-up care, as antifreeze ingestion can cause internal organ damage quickly). Let your mechanic change antifreeze or use a safer version with a funnel (see tips for safer car maintenance).
Tonic waters contain quinine, so avoid serving them if pregnant or you have an abnormal heart rhythm, kidney or liver disease or low blood sugar. Avoid grapefruit slices for certain medical conditions, and avoid rhubarb tonic waters for stomach/kidney issues.
- Elderflower vodka is the flagship product, made from fresh elderflowers, sugar and vodka, sold in a presentation box with two tipsy shot glasses. Delicious ice-cold, and also good with Prosecco to make their ‘Elderbubbles’ cocktail.
- Taste of the Hedgerow is a set containing spiced pear (enjoy with apple juice and sparkling wine), wild plum (enjoy with prosecco and ginger syrup), crabapple (good with crushed ice, lime juice and passion fruit), sloe (combine with mulled apple juice for a winter warmer) or the signature Hedgerow Row (a blend of blackberries, haws, elderberries and soda – good with soda or lemonade on ice, with a garnish of fresh blackberries).
- Old English vodkas are from Isle of Wight orchard fruits. Choose from Apricot, Medlar (tastes of apples, dates and cinnamon, perfect with ice and tonic), Damson (nice with Disaranno and lemon juice over ice), and their award-winning Quince (try with soda, lemon juice and thyme leaves) and Cherry vodka liqueurs (good with prosecco).
- Wild & Hot Set includes Wild Mint & Cucumber (good with soda or tonic, mint and sliced cucumber), Horseradish & Beetroot (good with carrot juice), Wild Garlic, Chilli Vodka and Beech Leaf (made with young tender tree leaves that unfurl in spring over the bluebells).
- There is also a spicy Chilli Vodka that uses very hot Bhut Jolokia chillies, grown from seed in their greenhouses. 400 times hotter than tabasco sauce, these have a rating on the Scoville Scale of over 1 million, so to calm things down, they blend them with Scotch Bonnet peppers and two types of Jalapeno pepper for the ultimate Bloody Mary.
Sapling Spirits Vodka is sold in individual bottles, or as gift packs (some with Urban Cordial, a squash made with leftover fruits). This high quality spirit is reducing carbon, unlike most vodkas that use 2.8kg of carbon on average, before it reaches the customer. Distilled from British wheat (4 times), this is clean, crisp and naturally sweet. The same company offers a pickled tomato mix from Suffolk that is ideal to serve over ice for a Virgin Mary, or with their vodka for a Sapling Bloody Mary. Or serve with gin (Red Snapper) or topped with light lager (Michelada). Bottled by hand on the family farm, shake well before use and keep in the fridge (use within 4 days). 12 month shelf life.
PURE Lite Vodka (Essex) is a pure vodka that also offers a LITE version with 20% less alcohol and calories. Made locally with organic ingredients, it has citrus and floral overtones. Pubs and restaurants can order branded bar mats and ice buckets.