These all-purpose biodegradable cleaning brands are better than most brands on the market. Gather all your toxic cleaners and securely wrap and bin, and switch to something better.
Ecoliving Natural Latex Rubber Gloves are made from responsibly managed rubber tree plantations. Just rinse after use, although may cause allergic reactions for some. Suitable for household cleaning or washing up, these are a pretty mint green, and compost after use. They have a textured surface for grip and are made in Europe, with one tree planted for each pack sold. 3 sizes. If You Care Fair Trade rubber gloves are lined with natural cotton (use separate pair for the dishwasher). Sold in recycled cardboard with non-toxic glues and ink. Store away from sunlight, avoid use with corrosive substances. Use with biodegradable cleaning cloths.
Mix Clean Green is on a mission to transform the household cleaning industry by providing eco conscious and cruelty-free alternatives to reduce impact on the planet. All ingredients are sourced as close to home as possible to reduce carbon footprint with an emphasis on zero waste and plastic-free packaging. Items are formulated to reduce water consumption and contain no nasty toxins.
Avoid essential oils and Borax/alternatives near pets (close toilet lids, after cleaning). See toxic houseplants to avoid near pets (plants don’t clean the air; a 30-year old myth – just brushing a tail against a lily, sago palm or cheese plant can harm). Avoid disinfectants near pets (they lick their paws: Erin Heights Vet Hospital says Dettol destroys bacteria walls) and Veterinary Poisons Information Service says Zoflora can cause ulcers.
- Bio-D is sold in recycled plastic bottles, often bulk sizes and refill bottles in health shops and farm shops. There are unscented options including fragrance-free sanitising handwash that neutralises 99.9% of harmful germs. Also makes Floor Cleaner.
- Greenfrog Botanica Out & About Disinfectant is made with hypochlorous acid (WHO recognised disinfectant based on seawater that kills 99.9% of germs/viruses). Spray on hard surface, leave for 60 seconds, wipe with clean damp cloth. Or use as sanitizer, keeping hands moist for 20 seconds.
Elmkind Lavender & Tea Tree All-Purpose Cleaner is sold in an aluminium bottle with refill concentrate to make 5 x 500ml bottles. Profits help animal welfare and ocean clean-up charities. Or use Sweet Orange Natural Kitchen Cleaner (use Bio-D unscented above, if you live with pets).
Fill Refillable Vegan Scrub Powder
- Fill Refillable Vegan Scrub Powder is made with biodegradable ingredients (including clary sage essential oil) and sold in a glass bottle, which you can fill up with a refill pouch, when you run out. Made in Nottinghamshire by a family company, it also contains linalool (not in unfragranced) and over 30% recycled waste marble powder. To make your own cream cleaner, just place the powder in a bowl and add a few drops of water (no more than one or teaspoons needed). Stir to make a thick paste, then test on an inconspicuous area, before use. Then use with any preferred cleaning tool, to remove dirt, grime and limescale.
- Greener Cleaner offers a range of household cleaning tools that are made from recycled plastic. The Duster is perfect to clean furniture, cornices, windows, ornaments and cupboards. There is also a window wiper and a dustpan and brush (avoid the dish brushes as they would deposit plastic microplastics down the sink). But the rest are great!
- Greenfrog Botanic Out & About Disinfectant is one of the best on the market. This natural organic disinfectant can be used on hands and surfaces, and is made with hypochlorous acid, which is a WHO-recognised disinfectant and is PH neutral, so kind to hands while killing 99.9% of germs and viruses. Free from alcohol, it’s certifed by the European Chemical Agency. Made in the UK, the plastic bottle can be recycled.
- Greenscents is one of the best cleaning and laundry ranges sold in the UK. This family business in Somerset makes vegan and biodegradable products, using organic and ethically sourced ingredients, either unscented or with essential oils, in recycled plastic packaging, including bulk.
Spruce is a new eco cleaning company, designed to reduce both chemicals and waste. You can buy a multipurpose or bathroom cleaning kit with refills. Made with organic essential oils,these vegan cleaners cut through grease and grim and can be used on tiles, countertops, stone, wood and most sealed surfaces, leaving your home smelling like a spa with a mild geranium france. Just add water to a refill pack to make a full bottle of cleaner. The outer packaging is plastic-free and printed with biodegradable inks, and for each kit sold, they remove ocean-bound plastic to the same as 25 500ml plastic bottles.
To use, just fill with tap water slowly to avoid excess foaming to make 500ml of cleaner. Dispose the pack with food waste, or cut in small bits and compost at home to turn into rich fertiliser. Do not recycle with paper or plastic. 18 months shelf life. The bathroom cleaner smells of eucalyptus oil.
Bio-D Natural Furniture Polish
Bio-D has launched the UK’s most eco-friendly wooden furniture polish. Packed in a metal tin and free from chemicals and beeswax, this is a vegan-friendly polish that you can use to maintain your furniture. It contains linseed oil to nourish wood (flammable on its own but okay in this hopefully) and protect against finger marks and spillages. No palm oil either. Use with compostable dusting cloths (unlike microfiber cloths, these can be safely laundered, without depositing plastic particles in the machine).
Bide offers eco-friendly cleaning boxes that support unemployed women. Each monthly box contains 400g of eco dishwasher powder fragranced with peppermint essential oil, an eco washing up liquid with lemon oil (pour into a bottle and dilute with water) and 10 eco toilet cleaning bombs to fizz up with lavender, peppermint and eucalyptus essential oils.