If using candles, choose ones made from biodegradable plant wax, as they are soot-free and burn cleaner. Keep candles away from windows at night (this helps to stop birds getting confused, and accidentally flying into windows). If burning candles outside, know that citronella is toxic to pets (don’t burn candles with essential oils near pets, especially near cats – some oils like nutmeg are very toxic).
- Never burn candles near furnishings
- Never leave candles unattended.
- Use a candle care kit (this includes a candle snuffer, wick trimmer for a clean burn and a wick dipper)
- Keep wicks trimmed to 1/4 of inch
- Burn new candles for 2 to 3 hours, to prevent a ‘tunnel’.
These 100% natural scented candles are made only with plant waxes, cotton wicks and essential oils (avoid essential oils for pregnancy/nursing and avoid burning near pets or young children – air rooms before allowing them back in). What’s good about these candles is that you can also buy a candle care kit to safely snuff out the candles (far better than just blowing it out). The boxes also contain seeds to grow mustard seeds (not near pets – see make your garden safe for pets). The candles are in 5 aromas:
- Amira (oud, patchouli, green mandarin, geranium) with mandarin, geranium, damask rose
- Chalet (atlas cedar, allspice, junper berry, pine needle, sandalwood, labdanum)
- Petals (tuberose, jasmine, bergamot, ylang ylang, frankincense, oud)
- Secret (bergamo, tobacco leaf, tonka, amyris, patchouli)
- Hearth (vetiver, spicy cinnamon, clove, cedar, pine, birch tar
In 2 sizes for 20 or 55 hours burn time. Always follow candle safety instructions (don’t leave unattended nor burn near flammables like curtains).
Aromatherapy Wellness Candles
The aromatherapy wellness candles are formulated in 5 scents, although alas a couple of them contain rosewood from an endangered tree. Those without it include:
- Sleep (lavender, chamomile, vanilla, sandalwood, verbena)
- Serenity (sandalwood, frankincense, lemongrass, ylang ylang, clary sage)
Eco Concrete Petal Candle
This eco concrete petal candle is made with natural rapeseed oil, a natural wick and pure essential oils. Handcrafted in India with post-industrial waste, the beautiful rose pink candle is both rustic and contemporary. Each purchase helps to support women who have suffered the devastating consequences of war, through donations to Women for Women International which has helped over 600,000 women in 8 countries impacted by conflict, to help them rebuild their lives. Choose from the following scents (avoid rosewood, it’s from an endangered tree):
- Grapefruit & Lime
- Ylang Ylang, Patchouli & Neroli
- Cinnamon, Nutmeg & Orange
- Cedarwood & Patchouli