Unless you make your own nut & seed butters, most people buy them. But many brands contain palm oil. Palm oil use is harming the habitats of orangutans and other endangered creatures (there is no such thing as sustainable palm oil). Use these palm-oil-free brands on toast, or drizzle on porridge and add to smoothies.
There is controversy at present over the providence of some almonds, due to migratory beekeeping (which lets bees starve, after the harvest). So always choose nuts and seeds from small-scale organic farmers, who do not use these methods to harvest or grow their crops.
Just like nuts and seeds, do not give nut/seed butters to young children (or anyone with swallowing difficulties like Parkinson’s), as they are also choking hazards. Many nuts (including macadamia and pecan nuts) are toxic to pets. Don’t give peanut butter to pets, it’s too rich, save for an organic dog biscuit.
Never give birds ‘fatty foods’ like sandwich leftovers with nut or other butters (nor crusty, dry, stale or mouldy bread). They can choke, and the fat/oils can affect the insulation/waterproofing of feathers.
- Meridian Peanut Butter and Crunchy Peanut Butter (UK) are palm-oil-free as are all their other nut/seed butters, like all their goods.
- Bnutz (UK) ethically sources the finest nuts, then blends them into their beautiful jars. The range includes Chai-Spiced, Spicy Chilli & Lime, Espresso and Chocolate Hazelnut.
- Butter Nut of London offers a quality range of nut butters including Smooth (made with organic peanuts and Cornish sea salt), crunchy, cashew maple turmeric, ABC (almond, brazil, cashew), hazelnut cacao, cashew coconut cardamom and pistachio rose.
- Carleys (UK) make organic nut & seed butters from Cornwall. Ideal if you wish to avoid palm oil and eat organic ingredients, these are all sold in glass jars. The range includes cashew, pecan, sunflower and almond butters, made with Fair Trade in an eco factory.
- The Nut Brothers (NZ) makes the finest nut butters, crafted using the finest high oleic nuts, roased and milled to perfection. Founded by three lads who have been friends for 30 years, they are packed in easy-to-recycle glass jars.