Honestly Tasty Images by @kathryn_armitage on Instagram
Camembert is a soft cheese that is popular in France, which in the past has been made with cow’s milk. Named after a village in Normandy, it was allegedly invented by a local farmer. In 1890, an engineer invented the wooden box to send the cheese longer distances, and today most Camembert is still transport this way. Usually aged for several weeks, it’s best served at room temperature.
Do not eat mould-ripened cheeses during pregnancy. Keep vegan cheeses away from pets (many nuts are toxic). Don’t feed leftover crackers with cheese to birds, as it can cause choking and/or affect waterproofing/insulation of feathers.
Honestly Tasty Vegan Shamembert
Honestly Tasty Vegan Shamembert is a wheel of creamy vegan cheese, ideal for any gourmet cheeseboard. Infused with truffle oil to create rich earthy tones, this cheese has an authentic rind that makes it perfect for baking. Ideal with a loaf of crusty bread to hand. The cheese is made with almonds, miso, cheesy-tasting nutritional yeast, white truffle oil and vegan cultures. Contains shea butter and rice bran oil.
Honestly Tasty is a plant-based food start-up in Haringey (London) founded by Mike, when his new vegan lifestyle came up against his love for cheese. After months of experiments, he landed on his own winning Veganzola. So he closed down the door on his career in corporate banking, and founded his own vegan cheese company. He runs the family business with his sister, offering authentic vegan cheese alternatives, which are sold in good shops and online. 2% of profits go to a community-run animal sanctuary in Wales.
Other Good Brands of Vegan Camembert
- Mouse’s Favourite Vegan Camembert (UK) is an artisan cashew cheese, with an authentic rind and soft creamy centre. An instant hit since its debut in 2016, it is the winner of several taste test awards.
- White Rabbit Kitchen Camembert-Style for Baking (UK) keeps for a week in the fridge, or 3 months frozen. Remove the lid off the wooden box, then drizzle with a little oil, add optional herbs and bake until it turns gooey. Serve with fresh bread or roasted vegetables – or try with garlic chutney. Ready in 20 minutes, made with cashew nuts and white wine vinegar.
- Palace Culture Cashewbert (UK) uses pure organic cashews and live cultures, along with Cornish sea salt. The cheese features a mushroom/truffle taste, with a thin white mould layer. Lasts 4 weeks in the fridge.
- Botanic Cam (US) is a rich and creamy fauxmage, with earthy nutty overtones and an authentic rind, grown using traditional methods. Made with raw cashews, nutritional yeast and vegan probiotics, this is best served with a white Riesling.
- Happy Heart Vegan Gourmet Petit Cam (CA) is a calcium-rich raw cashew cheese, with a white rind that lasts 4 to 6 weeks. Serve with fresh baguette, red grapes and walnuts and a glass of vegan Sauvignon Blanc or St Emilion.
Dilectio Camembert (AU) is a snow-white bloomy white cheese with a delicious creamy interior. Aged and handcrafted using traditional fermentation methods, it has a seriously smooth texture and lovely mild flavour. It pairs beautifully with sweet jam, a slice of sprouted bread or just a sprinkle of pecans and walnuts.
Make Your Own Vegan Camembert
Vegan Camembert (Loving it Vegan) is made with cashews, ground rainbow peppercorns and nutritional yeast. This is easy to make, as no ageing is required. Serve on crackers or as part of a vegan cheese board.
Learn how to make your own vegan cheeses with MELT (the ultimate vegan cheese course) from Brownble. You’ll learn how to make this Camembert-style cheese along with many others.
CamemBOSH is a collaboration from Ellie and the BOSH boys. This incredible plant-based Camembert is made with soaked cashews and garlic, nutritional yeast, apple cider vinegar, garlic and a few sprigs of rosemary.
Make Your Own Vegan Camembert
Vegan Aged Camembert (Full of Plants) is one of a series of vegan cheese recipes, by a talented French chef. This 5-ingredient recipe is made with raw cashews, filtered water, salt, cultures and Penicillium Candidum. Also try his Ash-Ripened Vegan Camembert (coated with vegetable ash and covered by a white mould) and Sun-Dried Tomato Vegan Camembert (naturally coated with a fluffy rind).