These tips for vegan school & college are ideal to help leave a lighter carbon footprint. In fact, the fact that these buildings are likely larger, means the benefits are immense and payback time much shorter (for instance, a solar roof on a house takes year to pay back, but for a school, it won’t be long before it’s selling excess energy back to the grid).
The Plant-Based College Cookbook is perfect for busy students, with 150 recipes and kitchen tips on how to skip the dining hall and eat a better diet yourself. Recipes include Banana-Chocolate Chip Muffin, Creamy Carrot Smoothie, Vegan Spinach & Artichoke Dip, Mango Citrus Salsa, Peanut Butter Cups and Cocoa-Nut-Coconut No-Bake Cookies.
Greener School & College Resources
- Ecoutfitters is the main UK brand of organic cotton school uniforms. It was set up by two mothers who wanted an alternative to crease-resistant Teflon coatings (toxic to birds, and harmful to health and the planet). It sells shirts, skirts and trousers, plus pinafore dresses and gingham dresses for summer, along with accessories like socks. Free from chemicals, these are ideal for children who wear their uniforms for at least 35 hours a week. Most school clothes are made from polycotton mix or plain polyester, a plasic made from crude oil that is not sweat-absorbent and does not allow skin to breathe. Many toxic coatings can trigger rashes and aggravate skin conditions like eczema.
- Sign up to Green Schools Project. This is a program that lets your school work through various projects, to help green up your school.
- Remarkable makes pens & pencils from discarded items. Use with recycled stationery.
- Most children at school now apparently drink bottled water, rather than tap. Install a Frank Water Cooler to serve filtered tap water, and profits help provide fresh clean water for children in India.
- Most school accidents happen at the gates, when lots of cars are congregated together. Set up safe routes to schools (which could include a walking bus, with volunteers either end. Use solar bus stops.
- Digital Frog is the gold-standard digital software, as an alternative to dissection. Taking frogs from the wild is cruel and dissected frogs are often covered in formaldehyde. Digital frog experiments can also be repeated over and over.
- Solar panels on school roofs have quick payback time, and some offer grants or loans. If you follow energy-saving advice, you can sell excess energy.
- Cyclehoop makes award-winning cycling parking spaces, which can fit more cycles into one place. Their Cycle Parking Rentals Scheme is used by councils nationwide, with items sold in 16 countries.