Climate change is something that we hear so much about, and it can be worrying. And indeed, it should be. We only are a few years off from irreversible climate change, which is why Greta is so angry, as the powers that be won’t listen to her. They just pat her on the head, and send her on her way. But the reason she’s angry is because she has much better scientific knowledge than them. If more action is not taken soon (putting the planet before economic growth and encouraging people to ‘buy and spend to help the economy’), we will have a world full of drought, wildfires and floods. Species will go extinct, we ourselves will lose a huge chunk of England to rising sea levels, and life will never be the same as we know it (COVID is just a fraction of what would happen).
Although our earth has naturally heated at times, 97% of climate scientists (and it’s been found the other 3% had vested interests) say that the earth has now warmed by 1°C since the Industrial Revolution, due to human activity.
- Greenhouse gases are emitted from all beings (apart from trees, they take in carbon dioxide and give out oxygen). The huge meat consumption of humans means that there are over 1.5 cows often on factory farms. On land that is cleared of trees, to provide beef for fast food and other restaurants.
- Deforestation happens in the Amazon rainforest (the ‘lungs of the planet’). But also trees are torn down in Indonesia (to provide cheap palm oil plantations, which kills orangutans). And the northern Boreal forests are chopped down for timber and to make toilet paper). All this means less oxygen (trees gone) and more carbon dioxide (greenhouses gases).
The rising temperatures means we are losing around 9% of Arctic sea ice each year (so it will all be gone in 10 years). This means polar bears will go extinct, as they will have no ice to live on. And rising temperatures also mean more droughts and floods, which cause harvests to fail. This means more chemicals on food, and an increase on the 1.7 million children already dying yearly, due to climate change consequences.
Most governments and big business just want to carry on as normal, but create different kinds of energy to fossil fuels (so they retain profits). Others want us to eat lab-grown meat, and others want the changes to only come at a slower rate, than climate scientists say is necessary (the UK Conservative’s aim of zero carbon by 2050 is way too late). So in summary, living a simple lifestyle is the best way to help:
- Have less children
- Eat less meat
- Walk more, drive less
- Save energy & water
- Fly less
Books to Stop Climate Change
- Save the World: There Is No Planet B is a nice little book packed with ideas on how to help, without scaring or being doom-and-gloom. The simple tips can be incorporated into daily life, and shows just how small tips can have a huge positive effect on the world around us. Also read There is No Planet B by greenhouse emissions expert Mike Berners-Lee (including 14 ways MPs can help). This book combines expert advice with a really entertaining read, you’ll be stoked by the end of this book.
- How to Save Your Planet (one object at a time) is a nice little book by environmental scientist Dr Tara Shine. It’s packed with tips to save the planet, by making simple daily swaps. Rather than feel overwhelmed, learn how sustainable living can be fun and convenient. See toxic plants and mulches to avoid near pets.
- Being the Change is by climate scientist Peter Kalmus, who uses satellite data to study the rapidly changing Earth, focusing on ecological forecasting (in other words, he’s brainer than most of us). After becoming alarmed at climate change stats, he took up cycling, grew his own food and took a crash course in meditation. Today, he and his family have the same lifestyle, but live on a 10th of the average fossil fuels.