They are right here, in this post! If you visit a dinosaur doctor, you may find one that says you can’t be vegan, as you won’t get enough calcium or protein. Run a mile! There are plenty of good vegan medical doctors around that you can trust. Here are some good tips and resources on finding good medical care, which lets you combine your own nutritional knowledge (you likely have some, if you’ve vegan!) with benefiting from the expertise of doctors who have done their homework.
According to The Plantrician Project, over 70% of chronic illness can be prevented/reversed with wholefood plant foods. 60% of Americans have one chronic illness (heart disease, type-2 diabetes, obesity, auto-immune disease). Yet physicians get less than 20 hours of nutrition education training, over several years!
Forks Over Knives is the website to start with, run by medical professionals and others (including chefs) to show that eating plant-based (low in oil and refined foods) is one of the best ways to prevent and treat a myriad of common diseases like cancer, heart disease and diabetes. There is also growing evidence that stroke and Alzheimer’s often have the same causes as heart disease (plaque in the arteries).
Joyful, Delicious, Vegan (a book recommended by vegan doctors) equips readers with the knowledge to prevent and reverse heart disease, diabetes and other chronic illness, through diet. Sherra Aguirre shares her story of reversing high blood pressure and other heart disese symptoms, despite a long family history, and presents current knowledge and recommendations from two world-renowned cardiologists who have been reversing heart disease in patients for many years. Although leafy greens are good, check medication as some mean you should not take too many (or grapefruit), mostly for blood-thinners like Warfarin. You can eat them – but just don’t chug down 10 green juices a day!
Some Good Plant-Based Docs!
- Ellsworth Wareham MD recently died (age 104!) but had TV documentaries made about him, due to him continuing to practice as a medical doctor well into his 90s. He said the only problem was when the patient saw how old he was, just before they went under! He was a strong advocate of doing most things himself (rather than paying others to garden etc) and came from the US town of Loma Linda, which is known for being one of just 4 places worldwide, where most people live over 100. This is thought to be due to the Seventh Day Adventist religion which has strict controls on the sale of alcohol, a ban on smoking and most people being vegetarian or vegan (the largest supermarket does not sell meat). Ellsworth himself went vegan over 50 years ago and was said to be lucid and of good mental health, until right before his death.
- The blog Nutritiously has a fantastic post that goes into detail on 15 of the world’s most inspiring vegan doctors. These include Kim A Williams MD (the former president of the American College of Cardiology who cured his own bad cholesterol), Caldwell Esselstyn MD (who was the first doctor to reverse angina through diet alone, proven through angiograms) and Angie Sadeghi MD (who cured eczema and fibromyalgia).
- Dr Neal Barnard MD is the founder of PCRM (Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine), which he started soon after working as a young doctor, watching patients die from cancer (and his own little pet rat). Growing up in cattle-ranching North Dakota, he really turned the worm and has been instrumental in helping to reduce cancer rates, and install humane medical research in labs and keep dissection out of the classrooms. In his spare time, he plays guitar in a groovy rock band!
- Dr John McDougall has helped to heal over 12,000 people via his free online program, and millions of others with his books. Promoting a low-oil diet, he leads a team of experts (his wife Mary who writes the recipes is a retired nurse) to share his 50 years worth of medical and dietary knowledge.
Where to Find a Plant-Based Doctor
- Plant Based Health Professionals is led by Shireen, a consultant haematologist and honorary senior lecturer at King’s College Hospital in London, with a special interest in treating patients with cancer of the lymphatic system. She leads a team of medical doctors and others in running the site that has heaps of info and lets you find a plant-based medical doctor. She has developed the UK’s only university-based course on plant-based nutrition for healthcare professionals and runs an online health care service at Plant Based Health Online.
- Plant Based Docs is a directory to help you find plant-based doctors, nurses, registered dietitians, health coaches and other professionals committing to using a food-as-medicine-first approach to care. This is run by founders of The Plantrician Project that is on a mission to educate, equip and empower physicians worldwide with knowledge on the benefits of whole food plant-based nutrition. It gives us the startling facts:
- Doctors for Nutrition offers a free plant-based guide for health professionals. Co-founder Dr Heleen Roex is a paediatrican educated in the Netherlands and a qualified food for life instructor with PCRM who conducts community courses in her hometown of Adelaide. They recommend the plant-based certified offered by T Colin Campbell Center for Nutrition STudies.
- PCRM and offers an app-based nutrition guide that offers detailed info for over 80 conditions. The information is collated by the clout and expertise of over 12,000 physicians with the dedicated actions of over 175,000 members from around the world.
Dr Judy is the plant-based MD, a board-certified internal medicine and lifestyle physicial, who advocates a plant-based diet and has a free e-book to download online.
Dr Gemma Newman is an Irish medical doctor whose book The Plant Power Doctor offers a simple prescription for your good health. She worked in medicine for 17 years including a senior partner at a family medical practice, after studying at University of Wales where she specialised in elder care.
Dr Chatterjee is a vegan-friendly doctor who is also a best-selling author, so his words have clout. He has turned medicine on its end, offering lifestyle precriptions over pills, and helped many patients illness simply disappear. He treats the person instead of the disease, to help reverse diabetes, IBS, blood pressure, menopausal symptoms, sleep, autoimmune conditions, heart disease and more. Some of his patients just live longer!
Two Zesty Bananas is a fun website with its own new traffic light food system run by two medical doctors in New Zealand. Luke has studied and worked with top plant-based doctors in the US, and conducted the first plant-based study in NZ. he works with GP Matt who only joined up after doing a bunch of fact changing, including confirming that coffee was still allowed! His favourite food is indeed a banana!
Vegan Docs – approved by Vegan Docs!
- Eating You Alive not only can reduce your carbon footprint by 55% and stop the 20,000 animals slaughtered in the US each minute alone, but looks at how half of all US adults struggle with cancer, heart disease, stroke, diabetes, obesity, high blood pressure, demtnia, arthritis and erectile dysfunction, all of which can be helped by switching to plant foods.
- What the Health? Documentary is the follow-up to Cowspiracy, this time focuses on health. host a screening of this award-winning film that expoes the collusion and corruption in government and big business that keeps people sick to make money.
- Disease REversal & Prevention Digest is a free online scientific journey, with authors publishing direct so there is no middleman to interpret the science with bias. Each issue includes a success story of someone who has overcome serious health issues, with lifestyle interveions. The editor is Laurie Marbas MD who is a board certified family and lifestyle medicine physician.