Unless you make your own crackers, most people buy them on shops. Ideal to serve with crudities or vegan cheese, the problem is that most brands contain palm oil, which is harming the habitats of orangutans and other endangered creatures. There is no such thing as sustainable palm oil. Instead, try some of these palm-oil-free cracker brands instead. Recycle any plastic packaging with household recycling or at supermarket bag bins.
Never give birds leftover crackers (or dry, stale or mouldy bread), as they can choke. Also never give any crackers or bread to birds with butter or fat, as it can affect the insulation/waterproofing of feathers.
Easy Bean is a small innovative company, determined to give beans the culinary status they deserve. The range of gluten-free crackers are made from protein-rich pulse flour, and are all vegan and palm-oil-free. The range includes:
- Fava Bean & Poppy Seed is speckled with poppy seed for a sweet earthy flavour. A good source of protein, ideal with dips.
- Red Lentil & Poppy Seed is sweet and crunchy, baked to a light red colour. Good for any dip, or hummus.
- Green Pea & Chia Seed – a fresh green vegetable aroma and texture that flakes and snaps. Ideal with dips and vegan cheeses.
- Yellow Pea & Sunflower Seed
- Chickpea, Turmeric & Nigella Seed
Organic Veganz Onion Crackers are made from oat and chickpea flours, onion powder and rice syrup, along with organic natural flavourings. This is a popular brand sold throughout Europe. Keep onions away from pets.
Dr Karg offers a couple of vegan crispbread options, made with olive oil in packaging that saves on plastic foil. Choose from Classic 3 Seed (sunflower, sesame, linseed) or 5 Grain (linseed, sunflower, sesame, pumpkin and oat flakes). The company also offers a range of crispbreads:
- Fantastic Pumpkin
- Amazing Amaranth
- Incredible Quinoa
Amisa Gluten-Free Crispbreads
Amisa Crispbreads and Crackers are all free from palm oil, made with garden veggies, chickpea flour, chestnut flour and buckwheat. Recycle packaging at supermarket bag bins.